Monday, August 25, 2014

REPAIRS: Rear and Countershaft Sprocket Change

Like any good story begins, I was out on a 100 mile Taco run on a Sunday morning last year minding my own business.

I started feeling some slippage in the hind end and the horrific sound of aluminum being eaten away.

Fewer teeth than a Eureka Tweeker, and that chain doesn't looks so hot either.

A quick call to Lee at ATK and I had a nice bright and shiny, yet slightly orange 48t in my mailbox. He was very in kind in telling me that I had my chain WAAAYYY too tight and the three finger rule is one to abide by and the only thing that could shred a 7075 aluminum sprocket is over tightening the chain. He was right.

Got a gold Regina D.I.D. 520x120 to "match" the talons

That Loctite was exactly that!

My countershaft

The countershaft I wish I had.

After trying to source the countershaft part locally I finally came to my senses and called down to Ron Woods shop and got a replacement 16t within a couple of days.

Of course trying to make sure it is "shouldered" and the splines are correct. Looks decent.

A few different shades of anodized gold FTW!

Took the opportunity while the bike was on the stand to take a look at the CRF brake pads....not so good.

Some EBCs popped in and I'll be doing stoppies in no time.
PART #s

Rear 48t Talon Sprocket 090034 From ATK

Regina D.I.D. 520X120 340582 From Amazon

Rotax 16t Countershaft Sprocket From Ron Woods
COSTS

Rear 48t Talon Sprocket $59.99 + $15 Shipping = $74.99

Regina D.I.D. 520 x 120 $88.44 Free shipping

Rotax 16t Countershaft Sprocket $34.99 + $16.60 Shipping + $2.80 tax = $54.39

Total: $217.82

No comments:

Post a Comment