Tuesday, August 26, 2014

MODIFICATIONS: New Tread AKA "Goodbye to the supermoto dreams"

Since I got the 490 in 2010 I have dreamed about having two sets of wheels thinking a set of 17's would make road riding that much more awesome. After 3 years of rolling on two sets of 80 / 20 21" / 18" Pirelli MT Scorpions, I decided that I hate the slippage on the washboard sections of dirt roads and that I would give a try to a set of 50 / 50 Mefo Explorers.

I never liked that skinny 21" Pirelli on the Front. The 140 18 looked super beefy by comparison.

Amazing that such a simple frame and motor can bring so much happiness to my life.

Not quite knobbies...

But perfect for the numerous Humboldt County loops.

The thought of spending more on a set of supermoto wheels and tires than I paid for my bike has never appealed to me, but getting to and making it out of tiny corners of the world that the ATK has given me access to appeals very much to me. I have yet to see how the Mefos hold up to lots of road wear, but so far they are holding up to the curvy sections of HWY 36 at the speeds that the Scorpions would tolerate without all the slippage on the washboard.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post,
    This bike looking most beautiful. Supermoto Wheel Kits are made for street and race duty and contain all necessary parts for your conversion, carefully crafted to fit each application.

    Thank you for sharing
    Supermoto Wheel Kits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post,
    Get Cash for Junk Cars in Memphis, Tennessee! USA JUNK CAR REMOVAL serving Memphis, Tennessee 7 days a week. We buy junk cars! Call us today for a FREE quote.

    cash for junk cars Memphis

    ReplyDelete