Sunday, August 24, 2014

REPAIR: Rear Brake Allen Bolt Failure

I packed up all my camping gear and took off to Shelter Cove last year, going the back way through Petrolia and Ettersburg. It was supposed to be a short 300 mile trip... Buuuuuttttt, the ATK decided to make that not the case.

All packed up in the middle of some Doug Firs that rival some of the bigger Redwoods.

One of the disc bolts decided to back itself out on the road. I heard a slight "tink...tink...tink," and I suspected a rock had worked itself into the disk...

But a sudden jolt stopped the bike in its tracks once it backed out enough to stop itself on the caliper and I got a quick introduction to the gravel.

When I got back to town after limping the last 120 miles trying to avoid using the back brake at all on some steep roads into Shelter Cove I got some replacement bolts. Here is the stripped and bent bolt compared to a new one.

The threads were stripped all to hell as well, So I took the wheel to a local machine shop and rather than re-tapping the threads the guys had the idea to pass a "blank" threaded rod through the aluminum hub that was of equal pitch from the back side where the threads were unaffected.

Passing a "blank"

All four replacement blots back in with a nice fresh application of blue Loctite

Back on the road ready for whatever.
COST:

Labor: Free

Bolts: 3.75

Replacing damaged plastics: Hell no!

No comments:

Post a Comment