Sunday, April 28, 2013

MODIFICATION: FRONT FENDER

Using my bike as a commuter I was regularly doing 55 mph + to and from school on the farm to market roads. Knobbies proved not favorable in these conditions, so I threw on some Pirelli Scorpions that the previous owner threw in with the deal that were take-offs from his KTM 990. But after I swapped out the tires, I noticed that the stock fender did a lot of "wandering."

In attempt to remedy this I searched out what looked like a good option, a UFO replacement for KTM 525 fenders that appeared to have extra "support" from a second piece of black plastic. It turns out that Husqavarna has employed the extra piece of plastic, whereas the KTM had applied a light black coating which provided little to no extra support, and "wandering" continued.

I dealt with it for a while, but when I came across a white Acerbis SM fender for 10 bucks in the bargain bin at the local shop I jumped, and will never look back. I made a template for the Paoli fender mounting bolt pattern and after minor drilling, it was done. It is stable at speed and since the majority of my riding involves little to no mud being sling into the air, I feel it is an appropriate choice for my needs.

I really liked the look of the two tone KTM fender.

So I roughed up the plastic and taped off the pattern, and using a plastic specific gloss black spray paint and some local stickers, BOOM!


After transferring the speedo cable routing bracket from the original fender I ended up with a final result that I was really happy with.

Part # 2040390002
Cost: $10 (bargain bin at local KTM dealership)

No comments:

Post a Comment