Sunday, April 28, 2013

MODIFICATION / MAINTENANCE: MUFFLER END CAP AND REPACKING

From the time I got the bike, I was impressed by the deep guttural sound that emanated from it's stock Supertrapp exhaust. The tinny whine of the starter to the roar of life that kicked over was always satisfying (along with the joy of an electric start with a left side kick bike). It seemed strange that a single cylinder 494 cc engine would have such a grunt, and my curiosity got the better of me and I needed to take it apart, and good thing I did.

The poor excuse of a birds nest of insulation material that greeted me when I removed the end cap was amazing.


After 10 years, this was all that remained of what I assume was the factory muffler packing

I repacked it with regular old muffler packing available from my local motorcycle shop. NOTE: Wear latex gloves and long sleeves! Here is a tutorial video of How to repack a Supertrapp muffler When it was all back together, I replaced the ho-hum stock end cap with one from Amazon.

Turned out a lot cleaner looking than stock for less than 20 bucks! The sound was just as impressive, but a lot cleaner as well.

Part # Unavailable (Silent Sport Muffler Pack from Denmark found in local ATV repair shop bargain bin) Part # 402-3046
Packing Cost: $10 End Cap Cost: $18.69

No comments:

Post a Comment