Sunday, May 12, 2013

MODIFICATION: FORK SWAP: STEP 2: DISASSEMBLY

The paradox that one must face when doing this is taking a PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL motorcycle, and deciding to rip it apart only to attempt to make it functional once again. I put this project off for a couple of weekends after getting the new front end just to get a few more rides in "just in case."

With the "last rites" out of the way, disassembly could begin:

There is no "quick guide" to taking a dual sport bike apart. I just started with the plastics.

As I got deeper, I made sue to document wire and guide positions with pictures so that when it came time for reassembly I did not rely on my memory a few days later. I used a roof rack strap to lift the intact bars / controls / electrics slightly above to old forks so I wouldn't have to rewire the whole bike. Also, important to note at this point was that I was careful to strap the back end of the bike to the MX stand and put some blocks under the rear wheel to keep everything from falling off the stand when I took the weight o the front end off of the frame.

GONE!

COST: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment