Sunday, May 12, 2013

MODIFICATION: FORK SWAP STEP 4: BRAKES

On the recommendation of zaz696 was to keep the Brembro lever and braided cable from the stock ATK set-up, but to keep the stock CRF caliper (The brembro caliper WILL NOT mount to the stock CRF mount).

So everything mounted up nice, but after I wrestled with getting the Brembro master cylinder level multiple times, I could not get gravity to pull the brake fluid through the brake system. I fanagled a vacuum pump system with a reservoir to get enough pressure to get the fluid to overcome the resistance in the system. At this point I came to the horrible realization that fluid was pouring out of the gap between the caliper and the banjo bolt. I switched the copper washers to see if that was the problem, but on closer inspection, I realized that the banjo bolt on the caliper had been cross-threaded. My fault or the previous owner's? I would prefer to believe the latter, but I was left with the result, it was hemmorhaging brake fluid and would never retain pressure.

I started looking at new CRF calipers online, and used ones on ebay, then came to my senses and took the caliper to my local machine shop who managed to tap the threads. 25 bucks at a local machine shop was a much better alternative than a 50 dollar used caliper with who-knows what problems from ebay, or a 200 dollar new replacement.
COSTS:

$25 to machine shop for thread tapping

$5.95 for DOT 4 brake fluid to re-bleed

No comments:

Post a Comment