Sunday, May 12, 2013

MODIFICATION: FORK SWAP: STEP 3: ASSEMBLY

This went fairly smoothly, except that I wish I had 3 hands or a shop monkey to hold things in place while I grabbed a wrench or a hammer.

The headtube and triples are ALMOST a perfect fit. Per the instructions of usedtobefast and zaz696 I put 1/8" worth of 1-1/8x1-3/4x14 gauge galvanized machine bushings between the compression nut and bearing retainer (not pictured).

Each of the bushings is 1/16" and after trying 1, 2, then 3 of them, I settled on 2 (total of 1/8" and everything mated up well and the compression nut settled down nicely and the bottom bearing of the triple snugged up nicely to the headtube.


Couldn't get the plastics back on quick enough to see the big reveal:

I decided to use the CRF bar clamps as they had slightly more rise to them than the stock ATK bar clamps. This provides plenty of room to drop the forks in the triple trees without the Cycra Pro Bend mounts hitting the top of the fork tubes.

Mind you, this is not a functioning street legal motorcycle at this point. I still have to figure out the brakes, speedometer, and a few other things I'm sure that need to get sorted out before it is road-worthy.

PART # H882802 at ACE Hardware
COST: $1.50 (2 Machine Bushings @ 75 cents)

No comments:

Post a Comment